- Germantown Surgery Center, 2100 Exeter Road, Suite 100, Germantown, TN 38138
- Fulltime, 4 days per week/10 hours per day
- 1 year PACU, ER, or ICU experience required
A Registered Nurse is a professional who provides patient care based upon the nursing process; being effectively involved with maintaining the standard of care for assigned patients through assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation. The Registered Nurse shall oversee and guide employees that are under his/her supervision. The Registered Nurse actively supports and promotes the Centers Philosophy and mission statement.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Graduate of an accredited school of nursing.
Basic computer knowledge and skills.
REQUIRED LICENSURE AND CERTIFICATION:
Has a current license to practice as a Registered Nurse in the State.
Current Basic Life Support certification
Current ACLS certification preferred or basic EKG or Arrhythmia identification certification
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of patients served in the Center. Must demonstrate the knowledge of the principle of growth and development of the life span and possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patients requirements relative to his/her age specific needs and to provide the care needed as described in the Centers policies and procedures:
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common professional and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors. Ability to read and communicate effectively in English. Additional languages preferred.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of basic mathematics. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems. Ability to deal with nonverbal symbolism (formulas, scientific equations, graphs, medical notes, etc.) in its most difficult phases. Ability to deal with a variety of abstract and concrete variables.
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skills in the nursing process.
- Demonstrates the ability to utilize recognized channels of communication.
- Demonstrates the ability to maintain good interpersonal relationships with patients, co workers, and other health team members.
The following description of job responsibilities and performance expectations is intended to reflect the major responsibilities of the job, but is not intended to describe minor duties or other responsibilities as may be assigned from time to time.
- Demonstrates a commitment to the basic concepts of continuous quality improvement.
- Demonstrates courteous behavior to all co-workers and guests.
- Recognizes when others are in need of help, information or directions and offers to help when able, or finds someone who can.
- Contributes to the fluctuating staffing needs of the department and/or other departments by being flexible in own assignments and work schedules.
- Assumes responsibility for assigned shifts.
- Assumes responsibility for down time, seeks/performs other job related activities or notifies charge/Manager of down time/need for further job assignment.
- Maintains patient, employee and center privacy and confidentiality at all times.
- Promotes a professional image by adhering to the established dress code.
- Maintains open and positive lines of communication
- Utilizes a multi-disciplinary communicative approach for maintaining and improving patient care.
- Communicates appropriately:
- Utilizes proper chain of command
- Maintains emotional control and diplomacy at all times
- Uses verbal and non-verbal communication in a pleasant, professional manner.
- Communicates only factual information to employees, patients and physicians to avoid misunderstandings and undue stress.
- Maintains patient, employee and center confidentiality.
- Communicates effectively, both verbally and in writing, to other members of the healthcare team to ensure quality of care.
- Performs a preoperative/perioperative/postoperative assessment of the surgical patient based on the surgical procedure and the type of anesthesia the patient will/have received.
- Shares pertinent patient information with other health care team members.
- Assesses patient understanding of their procedure and provides information and emotional support.
- Ensures information relating to the care of the patient is documented in accordance with established procedures.
- Promotes continuity of patient care through verbal report on the status of the patient to the healthcare team member receiving the patient.
- Makes preoperative/perioperative/postoperative patient assessments to verify achievement of desired outcomes as demonstrated by patient record documentation.
- Implements plan to keep patient’s family informed of patient’s progress if delays occur in any area of care.
- Utilizes the nursing process in providing care in order to promote a positive and uneventful preoperative/perioperative/postoperative experience.
- Functions in assigned areas according to established department protocols and demonstrates knowledge of /surgery center policies and procedures.
- Performs duties as outlined in the job description.
- Follows the policies and procedures established by OSSC.
- Recognizes own responsibility in ensuring that policies and procedures are adhered to throughout the facility.
- Demonstrates sensible and efficient use of supplies by limiting waste.
- Maintains a safe patient environment and takes action to reduce risk situations.
- Demonstrates knowledge of universal precautions relevant to specific job tasks.
- Assists with the replenishing of supplies and with the necessary housekeeping duties to promote patient care.
- Participates in problem solving when QI issues are presented and incorporates solutions into patient care.
- Anticipates potential patient problems and takes measures to prevent them.
- Functions as a resource person in own specialty area by:
- acting as a consultant to peers
- sharing areas of clinical expertise
- Participating in the learning experience of new personnel
- Serving as a preceptor if opportunity arises.
- Supports patients/families through emotional/critical situations as demonstrated by documentation on the patient record.
- Develops leadership skills that demonstrate commitment to patients, unit, Surgery Center, and own personal growth along with maintaining knowledge of current procedures and trends.
- Delegates patient care activities to support personnel according to their level of knowledge and expertise.
- Assumes responsibility for own learning
- Increases competency using educational materials.
- Attends/ takes part in inservices and documents as instructed.
- Seeks out knowledge needed for current procedures and trends.
- Participates and demonstrates follow through in product evaluation.
- Identifies areas of conflict and seeks conflict resolution
- If assistance is needed, provides written/verbal feedback to Manager or Director.
- Assumes responsibility for availability of supplies and proper functioning of equipment necessary to provide patient care.
- Develops a personal plan to cultivate skills that will be reviewed yearly during the performance appraisal process.
- Demonstrates competency with unit specific clinical skills and techniques. RN’s performing duties of surgical tech should be familiar with job descriptions for these roles.
- Demonstrates a systematic approach to problem solving by recognizing the inter-relationships between patient, unit, and Surgery Center as evidenced by collaborative solutions of problems.
- Takes part in the Surgery Center’s program to promote the safety of self, patients, and co-workers.
- Takes responsibility for the knowledge of and adherence to Bloodborne Pathogen Standards.
- Is able to demonstrate the knowledge of and adherence to safety and security guidelines.
- Handles hazardous materials according to established policy and procedures.
- Reports real or potential safety problems that are associated with activities in their work area.
- Incorporates nursing research into various aspects of current clinical practice.
- Serves as a data collector for a research project when asked to do so.
- When need arises, participates in identifying and implementing a research-based activity.
- Describes how findings of a researched based literature review were integrated into clinical practice as demonstrated by oral presentation to peers.
- When need arises, participates in developing a research based quality improvement project.
- Recommends policy and procedure change based on a review of literature.
- Complies with Surgery Center and unit specific personnel and nursing services policies.
- Attends 50% of departmental meetings per year, 50% of facility meetings per year and is accountable for the information presented at all departmental and facility meetings by initialing minutes when read.
- Maintains required certifications based on area of practice as follows:
- BLS – All
- ACLS – All
- PALS – Recovery Staff
- Reports to work on time and begins work promptly and performs duties for entire scheduled shift.
- Maintains absentee rate within limits of status.
- Notifies appropriate department manager of absences and tardiness.
- Attends all mandatory surgery center inservices and watches mandatory videos as evidenced by attendance records.
- Reads new policies and documents as instructed.
Please send inquiries, resume, and supporting documents to Jodie White firstname.lastname@example.org.